Subject: Re: Movie Magic - Go Motion photography
From: [email-masked] (Sean Cunningham)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 10:34:39 -0800

[email-masked] (Rick Catizone) wrote:

> One thing that I think we need to be very aware of is that stop-motion
> animation, which generally speaking looks smooth to the eye when viewed in a
> theater, looks less smooth on video.

Hmmm, I saw "Clash of the Titans" on film.  Looked pretty jerky to me.  I've
seen other stuff on film too.  Looks pretty jerky no matter how good the
movement is.  

The "look" of stop motion is acceptable for certain applications, check out
Aardman work.  Great stuff.  But they're hardly trying to make you believe
that what you're watching is real.  FX animators need to make their work as
realistic and believable as possible, and stop-motion just doesn't do it.
It doesn't cut or integrate well with live action photography.  

-- 
                                             
  Digital Domain: [email-masked] | "...the whole idea of  politics
  N  e  t  c o m: [email-masked] |  is to  achieve  power  without 
  R e a l  World:   Sean C. Cunningham   |  possessing merit." -P.J. O'Rourke